Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Small Group Journals

I love to have students in my small groups journal at various times throughout our group. However, I've struggled to find inexpensive journals with just the right amount of pages. In the past I've had students decorate notebooks to use as journals but we never come close to filling the entire notebook. This summer I decided to make journals for my small groups and it turned out to be a simple and quick project (inexpensive too, costing me only $5 in scrapbook paper)!

Here are the supplies I used:

  • Card stock 
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Rubber cement
  • Notebook paper
  • Plain printer paper
  • Thread
  • Sewing machine
Steps to make the journals: 
  1. Cut card stock, paper and scrapbook paper. I re-used some left over card stock and notebook paper from another project at school so they were already cut in half. I just had to cut the 12 x 12 scrapbook paper in half. 




2. Next, I used rubber cement to glue the scrapbook paper to the card stock to create the journal covers.

3. Since my scrapbook paper was longer than my card stock I had to trim the covers down to size.

4. I counted out how many sheets I wanted in each journal and placed the stack of paper in the center of the cover.

5. Then I used my sewing machine with a long stitch to sew the paper to the cover.

6. Viola! The finished product!


In all I made almost 40 journals and it took me about 3 hours and $5 to complete. Not too bad!! I can't wait to use these journals with my small groups this fall! 


No comments:

Post a Comment